Thursday, September 14, 2017

What's Your Story? Blogging for Everyone - GROWN UP VERSION

Unfortunately, I don't know a song from The Sound of Music that talks about starting in the middle.

*if you have no idea what I'm talking about - check out the post immediately before this - and maybe give a little pity laugh cause I'm trying to be funny*

So let's just add in a different image of a Julie Andrews movie and move on...work?!
Also, clearly, if you know me...this makes sense.  

Ok, let's move on to the actual point of this blog post.  We've already talked about using blogging with your students.  But how many of you have ever considered using a blogging platform for yourself?  And no...posting a blog question for your students doesn't count.  But good try! 👍🏼

No, I'm talking about as a professional or even as person with interests, hobbies, and a life outside of school...having a place where you go and write.  Anyone...anyone? This kind of "What?! Are you crazy? shocked and confused" response is kind of what I'm expecting.  So let's take a step back. 
   
Think back to last week.  Was there a lesson or an activity that went REALLY well?!  The kind where all the kids were on point and the content was clearly being learned and understood?  The kind of lesson where you wish your admin had come in and done an observation on that lesson?  Did you tell your pod or your grade level?  Did you tell your significant other?  Did you tell your family?  What was it about that lesson that made it so fantastic, you could leave school that day saying "This teacher thing...#nailedit!"

Those of you that had that moment or multiple moments like that CONGRATULATIONS!  That's a fantastic feeling isn't it?!  There is so much constant growing and changing and learning in education, that it's really nice to have a feeling of "I know what I'm doing".  With all those people you may or may not have told...did you know there are other educators out there who would LOVE to hear your idea.  You're look at me, maybe even smiling, but in your head, some of you are saying, "There's nobody out there who would possibly want to hear what I have to say."  You're wrong.  I mean that in the nicest way...but you're wrong.  

I'm just going to leave that there for a minute.  

I want you to now think back over the week and remember where there any moments where you...well, where you failed?  Not miserably, not according to anyone's specific standards, but in comparison to what you would have liked to see.  Were you not prepared?  Did a lesson NOT go according to plan?  Did you wear two different shoes?  Did you forget where you put your keys?  Or anything else where you just felt like...whatever your word is.  My particular phrase is, "What is wrong with me?! <insert face palm>"  Now with that moment, did you share it?  Did you tell family or friends and laugh about it?  Did you reflect and try to figure out what you did wrong so you can adjust it for next time?  (Like putting navy shoes in a box labeled navy and the same with black shoes so you can clearly tell which is which in the dark when you're half asleep.  I won't say whether this has happened to me or not.  I'll let you come to your own conclusion.)  When you shared, did you feel better?  Did you get advice?  Did it help you to organize and come up with some solutions and/or adjustments?

For those of you that felt that way last week, or ever in your life, would you consider the fact that there are teachers, humans, around the world that would love to hear about new teachers and experienced teachers that are having the same trouble?  We so often stay in our circle within our school that we lose perspective.  And it's so nice to step outside that bubble and hear that everyone is in the same boat one way or another.  If you are saying, "There's nobody out there who would possibly want to hear what I have to say."  You're wrong also.  I mean that in the nicest way...but you're wrong.


Regardless of everything else, here's a little piece of advice for you.  If you are the person where it helps your brain and your heart to get everything out on paper, try blogging.  Write it down and do it for yourself.  Use it as a professional tool; write down ideas, reflect on your practice, note observations that you make about the educational world around you.  Do it for yourself.

Here's my secret...I blog because I always wanted to be an author as a child, this gives me that ability. I knew that I could write about my thoughts and share my ideas and honestly, I knew nobody would read it, so I was safe.  I was doing it for myself, so I knew that I would do it.  Like a pedicure...treat yourself.  But I needed to get words onto "paper" for my heart.  It was only recently, that I began "advertising" my posts.  I still don't have a ton of traffic, but I don't care, because I'm writing for me.  These posts are for me, because I wanted to use my blog as a platform to present.  That's MY idea.

So....what's YOUR idea?

Let's see if we can get you to post or at least start, your very first blog post today.  My platform of choice is Blogger obviously, but here are some links:

Blogger | Weebly | Edublog | Wordpress

Do you have an idea of something you'd like to write about?  If you don't have one off the top of your head, that's ok...here's a prompt:

What's ONE thing you've learned in the #CUENV conference
that you'd like to take back and use in your classroom next week?  
https://www.eventbrite.com/o/cue-nevada-8488458164

I'm going to leave you with another tidbit (that's a fun word huh?) the folks that I share my blog with and that I read their blogs...they are regular teachers.  They aren't famous, even in teacher circles, they are parents, and new teachers, and singers by night, and fans of controlled chaos in the classroom, and avid readers, and turtle lovers.  They all have a story...just like you do, just like I do. And I learn from them and I feel confident because of them to share my story because of them.  And I'm going to post some of their blogs below...I recommend you take a look if you're needing some inspiration...or sometimes just a good laugh.

Melissa Chouinard-Jahant: www.iteacherimother.blogspot.com
Tricia Reyes: http://learn2tri.blogspot.com/


and of course I'm going to encourage you to read mine: www.ebgtechtalk.blogspot.com.

If you have any questions, please feel free to comment on either of these posts, tweet me @ebgtech, or find me on Instagram @ebgtech.


Oh yes...and keep writing! 📓 ✏️ 📝 💻


No comments:

Post a Comment