Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Picture Writing

It's the end of the year.  And even if it wasn't, this is a great idea for all grade levels.  At least I think.

I am using this as a "What To Do When Your Work Is Done" task.  Granted if it was the beginning of the year, I would probably do some lessons and practice brainstorming and work together as a class. However, it's not...so I'm not.  My students are finishing their assignments as quickly as they possibly can and then want to play computer games.  Can you see my face?  I'm sure you can because I'm sure you're making that same face.  Like, "Yea, right, sure kiddo.  You do that.  NO."

With writing, especially writing prompts, students can either do many many posts or they can go in depth in less posts.  I tell them it's about quality, not quantity.  But what about the kids that don't love to write?  Or doesn't love your writing prompt?  It is possible that you/I/we have a student that doesn't love to go on vacation/play with puppies/want to give advice to the incoming "insert grade level" or any variety of topics that are possible to write about.

Brilliant idea...CHOICE!  I love choice.  Controlled choice.  Selective choice.  Here are a variety of things to choose from.  BUT...I am not that creative to come up with that many choices.  I admit it. Creativity is NOT my strong suit.  I'm more of a spreadsheet and data and organizing girl.  I need help when it comes to creativity and lots of choices.  So I go to friends and I go to...THE INTERNET!

And look what I found when I was looking for Middle School writing prompts!?!?!?



You can search by genre, by grade level, or by topic.  The images vary between asking for a story, a point of view, creating a campaign or a new item, there's fiction and non-fiction, future and past, and so much more.  I love these images and the questions/statements that go with them.  I especially love that I didn't have to create them!

The images (the one above specifically) stirred intense conversations as well as really great writing that showed just how my students opinions and beliefs are being shaped by their families, their friends, and society.

We know that a picture is worth 1000 words, but do we need a 1000 words?  Do we need less or do we need more?  I guess it depends on the message.  And these images are fantastic at asking students to share their message on their interests!


No comments:

Post a Comment