Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Video Capture

Have you heard of flipping your classroom or your lessons?

I mean yes, there are lots of definitions of flipping.

Flipping your lid: get angry
Bottle flipping: "fun" past time to challenge your bottle flipping skills
House flipping: remodeling a house to make it look nice

You get the idea.

Well, you can flip a lesson or a classroom as well.  Basically, you find a way (very often a video) to show students the lesson/content at home and then they come to school to work through questions, practice problems, small group lessons, etc with support from the teacher.  What once was the lesson is now the homework and what was the homework is now the classwork.  It's "flipped".

Like I said, very often video is the format used to capture the lesson from the teacher so that students can watch it at home.  However, I have come to rely on video capture for so much...and I not flipping my lessons.  It can be used for so much more!

And guess what...I have a poster session on it at #ISTE17!  I'm so excited about it!

Once I have my full presentation, I'll happily post it.  However, I thought I'd give you an intro to how you can use video in your classroom.

One of my favorite ways to use video or rather have students use video is to present.  Now some students really have an issue with hearing their voice.  However, typically, if you reassure them that it will not be presented to the class, they are good.  I would recommend selecting a handful that are willing to actually present to the class though.  I'll get into that in a minute.

The reason to have students record their presentations is so that you don't have to take up class time for multiple days (ex. science period for 4 days) while students present their project and you grade the rubric.  If students are recording their presentation, they are still explaining their thought process, they are still explaining what they created or found, and they are still able to show you everything you have asked to see but now take away the fear of public speaking, take away the in class time factor, take away not being able to "redo" a presentation, take away having to rearrange if someone is sick, take away not being able to grade at home (with a glass of wine perhaps), etc.  The videos provide you and your students with some flexibility.


Here is a sample that one of my students created at the beginning of the year regarding whether or not Mother Teresa should have been canonized.  I asked them a question, gave them some resources, and asked them to create a presentation using any "powerpoint" style program they wanted and then to record over it explaining their thinking.  This student chose to use Adobe Spark on their iPad.  What do you think?

Here is a copy presentation with of the rest of the videos for your Google Drive:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1cowNXnDZpa3pJbHOt4lzIPJJJ7eH-Fas_vImmq9U-JU/copy?usp=sharing

Do you use video in your classroom?  What do you do?  Please share...always on the hunt for new and better ways to do anything in the classroom.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment