Tuesday, November 17, 2015

One Tab

I cannot stand where I have a messy and cluttered desktop.  I can't find anything and I can't see my picture of Disneyland's 50th Anniversary Castle by Thomas Kinkade, both are equally important to me.  That being said, I try very hard to keep my desktop very organized.

I also cannot stand to have a million bajillion tabs open either.  Unfortuately, I am VERY guilty of this.  I leave a tab open because I won't remember it if I close it.  I leave a tab open because I work on it daily.  I leave a tab open because I know I will have to refer to it in a meeting today, tomorrow, or next week.  I'd rather have a million bajillion tabs open than a million bajillion bookmarks, cause at least I know I can close the tabs.  The bookmarks...I'm too lazy and they will stay there for eternity.

Knowing that I have a problem with tabs (the first step is acknowledging it right) I decided to do something about it today.  This summer I went to a Google Summit in Charleston, SC.  One of the presenters, Chris Craft, talked about Chrome Extensions.  So I busted out my black and white composition notebook (yup I like to take notes old school) and looked up what he had suggested. There it was, beautifully printed "One Tab: put multi tabs in one page ---> multiple links to share w/ students".

So I downloaded One Tab.  And in 5 minutes, I had downloaded, figured it out, and my life is now changed!  I hear the angels singing above my head as I do a little happy dance in my seat.

Once you download One Tab, you click on it and it absorbs all the tabs for that page and closes it.  I organized my tabs on each page - work, social, articles to read, etc. - so I did this for approximately 5 open windows.  Holding my breath (because at this point EVERYTHING IS GONE!!!) I opened a new empty window and clicked on the One Tab icon on my extension bar (or whatever that area is called) and it showed me a list with all my windows and all the tabs that were open under each window.  I could restore or delete any of them!

Those angels singing became a frickin' choir!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment