Tuesday, July 12, 2016

shameless promotion OR copyright lesson

You be the judge.

Sooo, I recently decided to take the dive and start uploading to Teachers Pay Teachers.  Initially, I was very against the idea.  The very core of education is legal thievery...or at least that's how it always felt.  But that was when you were in a building and everyone shared within that 1 building. Now, just like with the kids, the audience of teachers is more global.

So why not try to help a fellow Disney lover.  Yup...at this point (and anyone that knows me will NOT be surprised) everything is Disney inspired because well that's me and my style.  I love me some Mickey Mouse.  :)  Anyway, if I'm taking the time to create something that is Disney and copyright appropriate AND someone else can use it, why not put it on TpT?  And if I can make $2 for it...I think my time spent and their time saved is worth that.  Granted, nothing has been bought or downloaded but I've also only been uploading since 5 days ago.  I think I'm ok with that.

Anyway...shameless promotion part - GO! My store is my handle: EBGtech.

Now...to the copyright lesson.  One year ago, Tony Vincent came and presented to the teachers that I work with.  He showed us so many A-MAZ-ING tools.  I was completely overwhelmed and there was no way I would remember everything.  I picked up a few tools to use right away.  Other things have been in my back pocket...just waiting.  Well, about a week ago, one of those tools came out!

The Noun Project!  It's a website with icons that you can either download for free and give attribution to OR you can buy the image royalty free for $1.99.  It's your choice.  And if you decide to give attribution, they download the information on the image for you!  The only thing you have to do is copy the link from the webpage and share that with the image.  WHAT?!  They are doing the work for you.  Cause we all know you can copy and paste at this point.

I haven't opted for the $1.99 yet just because I'm stingy and I don't mind giving credit.  However, I can see how it would be useful.  The name of the icon creator is right there in the middle of my image.  Hmmmm...I don't care enough to pay for it, but you might.

Great tool for you and great tool for your kids!  Talk about an easy way to teach them about digital citizenship.

So now you get to decide...did I shamelessly promote OR did I share a new awesome tool for images with appropriate copyright information?




2 comments:

  1. As a librarian, I believe copyright is important. In a digital world, it is SO easy to "borrow" images and words without giving attribution. This looks like cool tool to help you "do the right thing" easily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alice! With the global audience that we're now working toward, ignorance can't be excuse. It's wonderful to have tools like The Noun Project to help us along the way.

      Delete