Tuesday, July 5, 2016

The ISTE Aftermath

*LONG POST*

ISTE 2016 ended last week and my team flew back on Thursday.  With the weekend being the 4th of July AND a long weekend, it's been a bit of a whirlwind.  I haven't had a ton of time to sit back and reflect.  So that's what I'm going to do here.

1) Geek Out Control: I met a couple of ed techs that I follow on Twitter.  Rather than freaking out (memories of Backstreet Boys and N*SYNC come to mind), I thought it was important to articulate why I have and why I will continue to reach out to them.  Who doesn't appreciate a little bit of recognition?  Someone coming up to you and explaining that your content is helpful and appreciated? Well, so that's what I did.  I met Alice Keeler and Matt Miller and just explained that I was changing my position and would be reaching out for their expertise.  I appreciated their willingness to chat and their willingness to connect.  However, and this is a fantastic thing about social media and educators, they are willing to do that for everyone.  I'm not special...but I am a fellow educator.  They'd do it for anyone.  Find someone you can learn from and follow them.


*side note: I wasn't able to get a picture with Matt Miller so I settled for a stalker version lol*

2) New Friends: I tend to stay with my group of friends/people/coworkers.  I get a little uncomfortable meeting new people on my own...really even when I'm with people I know.  However, at ISTE it's part of the experience to meet new people!
Disclaimer: You don't have to meet new people, but it sure feels good to talk and connect with someone in my opinion.
I attended one (sadly - only) #CoffeeEdu chat at a coffee shop at 6am.  It was put on by Alice Keeler and Amazon.  It was really interesting!  There was one lady from Louisiana who was very upbeat and outgoing.  She got the conversation started - I so admire that personality type.  Then we had a couple of participants that weren't educators but more on the Central Office/Sales side of things.  They were asking so many questions about teachers' opinions, buy in, what's important, etc.  It was nice to hear what other educators - teachers or administrators - had to say AND be able to voice ("voice" since I had lost my voice) my own thoughts.

What really touched me was despite the fact that we all had different roles and different experiences that overall we all were able to affirm each other's ideas or add suggestions without being defensive. It was a true learning experience.

I also went to a session about making EdTech Stick.  I sat with a teacher who, like myself, was making a transition into a new role.  She was also a little nervous.  I don't know how it all happened but we ended up chatting and giving each other a bit of advice.  I gave her some advice on how to approach her new role with tech integration and she gave me some overall life advice with my nerves on changing my job and going back into the classroom.  I don't know about her, but it made me feel REALLY valuable and knowledgable and plain ol' good that I could help someone that I had never met before.  I hope she knows that I will remember her and how she was so kind and helpful to me.

3) Old Friends: I came to Denver with my team from OSU and some of the high school teachers that I have worked with over the last 2 years.  I see my team everyday.  We go out and do trivia.  They were invited to my wedding.  We are friends.  The teachers I work with...well...it's a little different.  I don't see them on a daily basis.  We don't socialize outside of work.  It's always been a pretty professional relationship.  ISTE and all the outside activities really helped change that.  I learned a lot about those teachers!  I now feel like I know things about them other than the fact that they are stellar teachers!  I know that one of them loves Biggie to the point where there is one of his songs in the teacher's wedding.  I know that another had a date with royalty from another country...but talked about skiing with the body guard all night. Another one is REALLY picky about her spaghetti - she either has to do it herself or it's probably a pizza night. Another one has the same taste in music that I do...remember the N*SYNC reference...despite the 10 year age difference.  I'm fully envious of the travel that another teacher has planned for this summer. And there is so much more!!  We talked and laughed and had SO MUCH FUN!  I feel like I have so many new friends...but they were always right there.
It was also really good to see some of the presenters that came to OSU.  I was able to catch up with Tony Vincent and chatted with him on his Periscope channel.  Granted, I was still voice less so it was a little embarrassing, but it was good to see him and chat!  Another rock star that I will continue to follow and go to for advice.  I also saw Alan November but he was so deep in conversation that he didn't focus on who was waving to him.  LOL It was kind of funny.

4) Don't Forget: I think this one is pretty self explanatory.  When you're at ISTE it can be overwhelming.  But don't forget that excitement.  Don't forget some of the ideas that you loved and why you loved them.  Don't forget to reach out and ask for ideas or help.  Don't forget the reason you came to ISTE and that it's all about the kids.



No comments:

Post a Comment