Tuesday, July 12, 2016

There's SMORE To Do...

Before I get started I'd like to say my friends +Ms.Kiersten Baschnagel and +LaRenda Norman are the ladies turned me onto Smore.  They use it regularly and inspired me to give it a whirl!

And now....

One of the (arguably) most repeated questions in a classroom is "What do I do now?".  This is a question you become well versed with as a 1st year teacher.  I learned early the beauty of the default answer, "Read a book".  However, as I have gone through the years, I learned also, that isn't always the best response.  I figured this out when I would see kids open a book and stare with no turning pages.

Yup...they were getting a lot out of that particular activity.

I've discovered the beauty of choices for students.  Will there always be the opportunity to read a book?  YES!  Cause I was that kid.  I want to read...especially if I'm in the middle of a really good book...say for example, Harry just found out that Sirius Black, the man who is after him, helped Voldemort kill his parents?!  WHAT?!?!  I want any excuse to pick that book up again.

(Yes, I'm re-reading the Harry Potter series and even as an adult...at work...what I wouldn't give for a chance to be done so I can catch up on my book.)

HOWEVER...there will be other options.  Especially since this year I am taking the role of a computer teacher, so to speak.  In the computer lab, with so much technology at my finger tips???  I couldn't possibly ask students to exclusively read a book when they finish something.  No...they need more options.  This is where the Smore came in.

Smore is a essentially a place to design newsletters.  However, their graphic rich designs make it visually appealing.  You can add whatever content you decide is needed.  You can share online or print hard copies.  And as an educator you can get a discounted account.  The free account only allows you to create 5 smores total.  So even if you create 5 and then delete 4...nope you're done.

I know...I just tried.

So in my Smore you can see that I have crafted a variety of choices for students to do if they are done or even if they are stuck...kids get writer's block too.  I have ideas focused on their projects as well as ways to create their own projects.  And I want their feedback, their ideas, and their questions.  I want them to feel heard.

Would you use Smore?  What for?  (hahahaha - I so want to keep going)
Please I would appreciate any extra ideas or feedback on my Smore.
Leave them in the comments.

https://www.smore.com/bryq4

No comments:

Post a Comment